Towers are the traditional place for the practice and training of laran. All or most significant uses of laran take place in the Towers for safety and security. Arilinn Tower is protected by a force field that allow only the laran gifted to enter. The use of laran is very draining and dangerous, thus the force fields, the use of silk to muffle psi static and most Towers do major laran work at night when there is less active minds to interfere.
During the Age of Chaos Towers manufactured a number of weapons such as clingfire, bonewater dust and lungrot plague spores , as well as direct mental combat Tower against Tower. After the adoption of the Compact the knowledge of laran-based weapons was lost. Instead of a quasi-science it became more secretive and mystical. For many years the common people of Darkover have revered the use of laran as sorcery and Keepers and Tower leronis as sorceresses/sorcerers. The use of laran came to be surrouded by legends, customs and tradition. For a time the Towers became omnipotent but slowly started to lose that power and mystical secrecy and the study and exercise of laran became more scientific.
Laran gifted who are tested and found to have significant laran are asked to serve in a Tower, for a time all Comyn laran gifted would have to serve a three year term. Many would leave when there term was up but many stayed voluntarily.
The Towers engaged in numerous activites:
- testing potential children for laran
- developing and discovering a students laran talents
- training for those who possess laran no mater how minimal
- advanced training for those who posses a donas
- manning the relays (a rapid communication system run by the Towers)
- fire fighting (move clouds and cause rain over forest fires)
- mining and mapping (identifying metal and mineral deposits and bring them to the service)
List of TowersEdit
There were once Towers thru out the land, through the ages many were destroyed or abandoned, mostly because of the lack of enough leronis for them to operate at full capacity. Most cities or towns had a Tower and every Domain had a Tower.
- Arilinn (the most prestigious Tower, strict training, adherence to tradition and the old ways)
- El Haliene
In a fully functional Tower there are people besides the Keeper and the circle sometimes. In ages past there would sometimes be multiple circles in a Tower doing work. Listed below are important members of a circle: